Thursday, November 30, 2017

Leather Jacket





My sixteen year old son is obsessed with owning a leather jacket.  It's not just any leather jacket; he insists on black leather.  I could handle that, but, he wants one with silver zippers, a few shiny, chrome buttons strategically located over the breast bones and, last but not least, wide lapels. He wants a jacket porpularized by Marlon Brando in the movie Hell’s Angels.

 You've seen them.  They are worn by those who are anachronisms from the fifties, sitting on or zooming by on large, monstrous Harleys, terrorizing the citizens of small town, USA. I can see my son sitting atop a Harley, proudly wearing his motorcycle jacket. He probably has a Marlboro dangling seductively from the side of his lips. Yuk!

 I have nothing against leather whether it be black, brown or tan.  In fact, I own a brown leather jacket.  It's my favorite.  It's warm and comfortable yet, it doesn't stand out in a crowd, drawing disdaining stares from others.  No one suspects me of having an infatuation with motorcycles nor do they conclude from my appearance that I'm into something kinky.  But, Jeff won't even consider a tasteful leather jacket and, he doesn't understand my opposition to one that is commonly associated with less-than-desirable members of society.

Never mind the fact that the cost of leather motorcycle jackets run anywhere from $200 to over $300.   Jeff must believe that money grows on trees or on exaggerated lapels.

 "Look at this one," I prod, showing him the $159 price tag on an attractive, black leather jacket.

 He snubs his nose at it.

 "It's not me."

 He's obstinate.  Why does he try so hard at being different?  Being different isn't necessarily bad, nor is it outrageous.  Many brilliant people have been different, but, few have worn black, leather motorcycle jackets, except of course for Brando.  Jeff may be different but he certainly hasn’t yet shown anything remotely brilliant.Different behavior - the kind that's not within the realm of the law or social mores - is outrageous.

We continue to search for a compromise, something he could wear as an expression of his unique identity and something I could accept not only for its price but also for its general appearance.

He is unwilling to compromise, even just a little.

I try a different approach. 

"Jeff, I've never spent $200 on a jacket or suit for myself.  I'm certainly not going to spend that much for a jacket you might wear for a year and a half." 

Hopefully, he will attend college after graduating high school.  "No one wears those things on college campuses," I protest.  "So why should I spend that kind of money on a jacket you'll wear for only a year?"

He shrugs his shoulders, his face takes on an expression of complete disdain.

"Besides," his mother interjects, "the kinds of people who wear those jackets are thought of as hoodlums, generally, bad people."

"Well, what about my friends?  Zack, Vince and Gary wear them.  Do they look like bad people?" he asks.

Janice and I look at each other and bite our tongues.  We'd prefer not to answer.

"Look at the people in this shopping center," I suggest, pointing around with a general sweep of my hand.  "I haven't seen one person wearing a jacket like that," I add triumphantly.

Again, he shrugs his shoulders.  His face is expressionless..

We continue to walk, not speaking.  OOPS, there's a kid wearing a shiny, black, leather motorcycle jacket.

"If you really want one, get a job and spend your own hard-earned money," I advise him.

We left the warmth of the mall and searched the crowded parking lot for our car.  The Memphis night embraced us with her cold, indifferent chill.  Jeff walked quickly, shivering.

"Well," Jeff retorts, "will you take me to an army surplus store and buy me a green, army jacket?"

"I'll consider it."

"Well, what am I supposed to do about the weather in the meantime?" he asks.

"Freeze," his mother snaps.









© December 1989

No comments: